Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Fun With RSS Feeds


As a general summation, I've never been a big fan of RSS feeds. It may seem archaic, but I enjoy visiting the various websites I get my information from as opposed to signing into one site to view everything jumbled together.

I was willing to overlook my prejudice and give the ol' RSS feeds another shot at impressing me. I set up my bloglines account on Thursday of last week, and proceded to forget all about it until I began a new blog entry. So, I've not made real good use of my new account as of yet. In the future I will try to at least attempt to pay some attention to the RSS feeds I subscribe to. After setting up my bloglines account I subscribed to several news feeds: CNN, Seattle Times and a few others. For some added humor, I subscribed to Unshelved, because it makes me giggle.
I managed to subscribe to a few of my fellow Learning 2.0 participants' blog feeds without incident.

In an attempt to complete the next part of this weeks lesson, I used Feedster to search for a couple feeds I would be interested in reading. I took the easy route and used the content channels to find something entertaining and insightful. failing that, I chose the next best thing, celebrity gossip news and a sports feed. It amazed me to see how many library related feeds existed. I managed to contain my excitement and sign up for just two of these RSS feeds: The Shifted Librarian and The Grammatically Incorrect Librarian.

I do realize that many people enjoy and find RSS feeds to be a useful tool, I just don't happen to be one of them. In the future I will attempt to make greater use of these handy devices as they can save a great deal of time and aggravation. Until I am able to make that leap, I will continue my searching and browsing in the old fashioned manner to which I have become accustom.

1 comment:

The Shifted Librarian said...

Smalls, you shouldn't try to shoehorn habits that work for you into a solution that doesn't. I would suggest looking at your online reading habits and evaluating which ones might be good candidates for an aggregator/reader.

For example, a site you like that doesn't update very often could go in your aggregator. Or sites that you don't mind not visiting first. There's no reason you can't use an aggregator and still visit blogs. :-)

Good luck with your learning intitiative!